Ruby and Tango

Ruby and Tango
Me 'n' Ruby and of course Tango

Thursday 14 October 2010

A word for the young

I thought this was good

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they

did not and will not learn in school.

He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a

generation of kids with no concept of reality And how this concept set

them up for failure in the real world.



Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world doesn't care about your self-esteem.

The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good

about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You

won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents

had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault , so don't whine

about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they

are now.

They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and

listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were.

So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's

generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but

life HAS NOT.

In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you

as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.

This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters.

You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in

helping you FIND YOURSELF.

Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have

to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one



If you agree, pass it on.

If you don't agree stick your head in the sand and take a deep breath!



If you can read this -Thank a teacher!

11 comments:

  1. Great blog Arlene, I couldn't agree more. All of what Bill Gates has said is very true. It makes todays kids a bunch of softees with their heads in the sand thinking life is a bowl of cherries.
    Where I live, they don't call it 'failing' if they don't pass a grade, (after all, they wouldn't want to hurt the kid's feelings) which I think is ridiculous because what incentive does a kid have if not to try and get a passing grade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with this. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While in management positions I was astounded at the lack of work ethic among the younger generation. I was raised to do a day's work for a day's pay. A large portion of the young people I supervised seemed genuinely shocked to discover they weren't getting paid to just show up and hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so true and the same over here in the UK. I blame all the child psychologists with their 'don't allow a child to think it's failed ethos.
    They are far too pampered today and not made to face up to reality of every day life. The truth is, life IS tough, you have to work hard for what you want, it doesn't fall off trees.

    TG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you appreciated the blog folks, and I endorse every word, I'm 73 and still do some part time work. I also was brought up that you got to work for your bread and nothing is free, it hasn't done me any harm. I blame the government for taking away the right, yes the right, of parents and teachers to chastise children in a fair and just manner for wrongdoing, and if it means a smack round the legs or an over the knee punishment, so be it, and the younger it's done the better. sigh, that's got that off my chest, off out for afternoon tea. catch you later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Arlene
    I so agree with what is said above and with what you say, and it also did me and my brother and sister no harm to have a good clout from our parents when we needed it and we were always taught to work for what you want and save to buy it not to just expect it to be there, it made us appreciate things that we got more because we knew we had saved and worked for it isn't it nice to speak to people that think the same as we do, i personally think kids have far too much these days and they just can not seem except the word "NO"
    Hubby has done the rainbow pics but i will have to wait for him to put them on here i think !.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Arlene I rememeber getting a smack or two from the school. I respected my teachers and behaved myself. Have a lovely time enjoying your afternoon tea. Where you going anywhere special...??Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, too, I agree with what everyone else said ...
    It seems I'm late on this one, Arlene, so can I just have a piece of toast an' a cuppa? Been getting rid of everything that a fox could possibly try and mess about with in the garden. er.....Bess...you there Bess?
    xPenx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see you ladies, late or not you're always welcome Lo, Sheila and Pen, Anyone remember the spaniel I looked after during the Iceland volcano chaos? well it was Avril who owns her who I visited for tea. She is recovering from an op on her knee, I was supposed to look after Megan again but she developed an allergy so went to a friend who didn't have a dog. Avril is doing well, and we had a good old natter and put the world to rights today,
    Pen what's this about a fox?? hope Bess didn't have a 'roll' ugh.
    Looking forward to the pics Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Arlene, If you want to customize your own background it's here.

    http://googland.blogspot.com/2010/09/g-customize-your-blogs-background-with.html

    You can get it the way you like with a few goes.
    Hugs Lady J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ta Lady Jude it'll have to be a tomorrow job as it's way past my bedtime, as usual. I just noticed the time on that post was 14.30 and it's just shown up at 11 pm. huh?

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment.....Please? I appreciate every one and will do my best to reply.