Ruby and Tango

Ruby and Tango
Me 'n' Ruby and of course Tango

Thursday 5 May 2011

Maternity leave? my POV

Tonight there was a discussion on Maternity leave, it was condemned by Katy, she of The Apprentice fame. she is a businesswoman and she was stating that she thinks that women who take extended Maternity leave are lazy , as she was back at work three weeks after the birth of her last baby.

This got me thinking of how things have changed over the years, When I had my first child in 1958 not many women worked at all far less as ‘businesswomen’ you spent from 8 – 12 days in hospital depending on the sort of birth. You then went home and picked up your housewifely duties, Husbands certainly didn’t have leave or attended the birth, that was women’s work. Old fashioned?

Katy visited a nursery with Mum’s and put her view to them, she of course got short shrift,  one of the Mum’s asked was she [Kate] happy leaving her baby in the care of a nurse, she said she was as the nanny was picked with care. accusing them of loafing around all day drinking coffee she also visited a small business, and the view was different as the owner pointed out the inconvenience and difficulty maternity leave made to them.

I got to thinking on the pros and cons, and came up with the view that … if you took leave from your job for say 6 months, it would then mean leaving your baby in the care of a nanny or nursery, perhaps the baby wouldn’t be happy with that, having got used to their very own mum, whereas if you leave baby almost from the beginning they won’t know any different.

I don’t think there is an easy answer, but IMO if you want to have a family you should be prepared to give up daytime working till the child goes to school, if money is tight, you can get an evening job to help out, Old fashioned?

I know that not everything is cut and dried, but again IMO, women going out to work instead of looking after their children is the cause of many men being out of work as there is just not enough labour to go round. again IMO it’s often a case of wanting everything NOW, not next year, they want the holiday, the big TV, the new car, NOW, but it all has it’s price and it’s not all paid in coin.Old fashioned?

but as I said my Point of View.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Arlene, I think your opinion is a good one. The thing is that women have to make up thier own mind as to what they want, and discuss it with the other half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point of view is an excellent one. I worked when my children were small simply because we needed the money just to get by.
    I would have loved to stayed home with my kids. I think this Katy sounds like a nut. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Arlene, a family is started by having children, the choice is made and as you say, you are the mother. Why pass over the first years of your child's life to someone else? I know there are arguments for all sides, but surely if you choose to start a family you have considered the effects to your income and made changes to how you will cope. Sometimes it seems common sense just goes out of the window. xPenx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for your opinions, I'm very much with you Pen, but needs must when the devil drives . as in Beth's post, I did some evening work and a little w/end in a coffee [Wimpy] bar, I enjoyed being home with them daytime, and wouldn't have missed it for the world, and yes we were, not so much poor, but definitely not well off.
    Horst,thank you also for your opinion and input.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment.....Please? I appreciate every one and will do my best to reply.